Children, Youth and Families
Partners for After School Success (PASS)
Tutoring and Academic Support
- From through , PASS tutored 442 students, 85% of whom maintained or increased their GPA.
- In –, PASS transitioned to a literacy tutoring model—teaching students essential skills in reading to improve vocabulary, fluency and comprehension.
Literacy Tutor Summary
||Students making some reading gains
||Student making target reading gains
PASS members provide over 75 hours of homework club support a week during the school year.
Volunteer Engagement and Activities
- PASS has engaged 7,618 youth in 2,484 events totaling 48,243 hours of volunteer service since the program began. Youth participate in service-learning projects including food drives; cleaning parks of invasive species; making greeting cards for seniors and armed forces personnel; tutoring elementary youth; organizing recycling drives; helping senior citizens; planting community gardens; making toys for Humane Society animals; to name a few of the many efforts each year!
- PASS members support adult volunteers through their host sites. Every year, members support over 900 volunteers who provide over 16,000 hours of service tutoring, teaching employment skills, organizing holiday food drives and supporting after school programs. At an hourly volunteer rate of $22 (Independent Sector), this is equivalent to $352,000 in student support time.
- PASS serves over 1,000 youth a year through host site Extended Learning Programs offering youth a safe, supervised space that supports academic engagement and achievement while teaching important life and social skills. PASS programs and activities include Girls, Inc. and Life as a Boy groups; cooking clubs that focus on nutrition and culturally diverse foods; homework clubs; recreational activities that teach teamwork and promote physical activity; community service clubs; employment skill training & career exploration; community gardens, leadership development, and activities that foster creative expression through art, poetry and performance.
- In –, 86% of students participating in PASS after school programs attended school at or above the No Child Left Behind attendance rate of 90%.
- From –, 1,492 students reported increased engagement in school pre- to post-survey.